Monday, August 16, 2010

Rock Hill

Ha! I said I would get back on sometime before summer was over and write more about our trip to Rock Hill. The above photo is a shot of Catawba pottery. It looks like it was made on a wheel but it is all hand shaped and a wheel is not used. My great grandma Sanders is well known for her artistry. Aunt Mahovie gave me a wedding vase that my great grandmother made.

The above photo is where my dad went to school when he was little. It is now a cultural center. The photo below is what it looked like when my dad went to school. My great grandma worked in the small cafeteria. One of my dad's memories of his grandma was her saving extra deserts for him after school. I think that is a cute memory.
The shot above is the old school house that has now been converted into a cultural center.
This is a water hole. This is the same little creek my dad used to get water from to  do dishes, etc. He remembers bathing in this little water hole too. One time he was playing in the water and he remembers his dad yanking him out pretty hard and fast. There was a water moccasin coming right toward him. His dad was able to get him to safety.
This is my great grandma Arzada Brown Sanders. I was able to see some of the tools my great grandma used to make her pottery. Grandma made pots to sell to people for money for her family. Her mother, Rachel Brown, was also a talented potterist
Link

1 comment:

Jenni said...

I totally love hearing about your family history and everything. It's so interesting. I'm glad you have the opportunity to hear the stories and learn these things. I can't imagine how meaningful it has to be!