Sunday, May 11, 2008

American Idol.....


For those of you that know me.........I have not been a big fan of reality TV. I think it is mostly because TV evolved without us while we lived in Taiwan. When we returned it seemed that every night was a new TV reality show with a different theme.....some bachelor trying to find love.....chefs trying to win praise from a mean chef.....some sort of dancing show that I could never figure out.....trying to be a director for Matt Damon and Ben Afleck....and the list goes on. I heard lots of stories about American Idol. I couldn't quite understand the rules of it and honestly, did not give it much time. My mom and sister were addicted. They called each other after the show and shared their opinions about each performance. I was again, let them enjoy what ever it was they were loving so much.

I don't know what happened to me this year. Maybe it was the long winter. It may be that I was flipping through channels and was shocked to hear some British guy sitting next to Paula Abdul just ripping on some poor sap that "thought" he could sing. That was all it took. I watched from half way through the first episode and have been glued since.

I think what has made it more fun for me is that now I feel like I have so much say in who wins (not really, but it feels that way). I watch each night and call in my votes.

David Archuleta (a Murray local) has been a pleasure to watch. We had David Archuleta day in Murray last Friday. It was a blast. The spirit that was in the air was much like what it was when the Olympics were here. You could feel the pride in the air. It was awesome. Yet, David seemed so humbled by the support he received from his home town.


Governor Huntsman proclaimed May 9th "David Archuleta Day". He thanked David for helping the economy (lots of T-shirt, button, mugs with "VOTE for DAVID" sales). David was given a huge basket from the Mayor of Murray and Granite School District. They said they couldn't give him a key to the city because he "owns" it. David continually seemed shocked and surprised by the mass support of fans he had.

Later that night he started off the Jazz vs. Laker game by leading them off in singing the Anthem.

I guess reality TV is not that bad. I really have enjoyed the contestants and judges. I think Simon is my favorite. He is usually right, I think.

Thanks for listening to my rambles....

No comments: