Friday, January 1, 2010

December 30th, skiing at Alta


I thought it might be nice to take the boys up for a few runs up at Alta. It was our first time out this season. I decided to take advantage of Alta's "Ski Free After 3" deal. Ha ha ha.....it was an adventure. We left our house at 2 and did not get home until 9:30 that night. When we got to the mountain and read to hit the slopes, Spencer found out his boot would not click into his bindings. So that cute little smile on his face in the picture didn't last too long. I told him that there wasn't time for us to take his boot and ski's to the shop to get fixed. By the time it would get fixed, it would be time to go home. So we told Tanner to take off and get as many runs in as he could before we had to go. Spencer and I made our way back to the car and loaded up our stuff. A huge storm had hit and the snow was come down fast and heavy. I started to worry about Tanner being out there a lone. He found us and we decided to leave right away to beat the traffic. But everyone else had the same idea. 45 minutes into our ride home we had only gone 3/4 of a mile! It was dark and the snow kept on falling. Suddenly, to make the trip even more fun, the car died. I couldn't get it started again. Some nice guy tried to jump start the battery but it didn't work. We had to leave the car on the side of the road in a snow drift. A sheriff came by to help us. He told me that he could get us to a ski bus to get us down to the bottom of the mountain. We had to get our car towed before 10pm or it would be impounded. My cell phone battery died and I had no way to call Tom. He was at work and I don't know his work # because it has always been in my cell. I quickly realized there are only a handful of numbers I know. The sheriff let me use his phone and I called my mom. She told me not to worry and that she would get a hold of Tom. The sheriff got us on a nice and warm UTA ski bus. We sat in the very back, the only few spots available. The boys were starving. A nice grandpa and his grandson were on the bus and shared some oranges with the boys. We got to know them quite well. The bus ride was a 3.5 hour bus ride. Another gal and her daughter sat by us as well. Spencer made 2 new friends and had fun playing with them. Tom met us at the bottom of the canyon and we got home nice and safe. The lovely tow company charged us $300!!!! But it was a nice adventure. Now I know that I will always have a PBJ and some healthy snacks in my back pack even if we are only skiing for a short time as well as have my cell phone fully charged!

1 comment:

Jenni said...

Wow....What a trip. It's a good thing to have those amazing people out there, willing to help others.