Saturday, May 23, 2009

What is homesickness?

Jia Yi, Taiwan

Dictionary.com (2009) defines homesick as being sad or depressed from a longing for home or family while away from them for a long time. I had always limited it to my parents. But lately I have had an ache in my heart and a longing to visit Asia. I miss Jia Yi. It was our home. I miss the people. I miss the smells. I miss the rice fields and the sweet smell of spring. I never thought I would feel this, but I miss the crazy drivers and the adventure of getting from one place to the next. I am grateful for what we have here. But I miss Asia. At times I even dream about it and wake up yearning to be with the people I miss so much. But for right now, this is where we need to be.



China countryside, 2007




3 comments:

Jenni said...

I'm sorry that you miss it so much. As much as I would LOVE to travel...I can't even imagine living that far from home (Utah). It looks amazing and beautiful. Your description makes me want to be there too! I hope it gets easier for you! Love ya!

Family can be forever said...

Welcome you to come back to Taiwan anytime. Let your sons to visit us in the summer vacation.^_^

Suzanne said...

Oh I love this post :)